Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Say Goodbye"

It's been a quite long while since I've felt inspired to write a song. For a long time this really bothered me as previously I had written very regularly; I thought perhaps the time had come when this gift had past and that I just had to accept it. Yet every once in a while the leaves of my heart start to rustle, and for a glimmering moment, in a fit of diligence I find the labor to prove successful, even if only in part.

Tonight I was pondering the outcome of a certain situation and then continued further into general thoughts and feelings on the matter of human relationships past, present and future; in the midst of this a song started to form, which I thought I would share here.

"Say Goodbye"

 

What if you should find out what's inside - Would you run away from me?
No, I won't give you the chance to say, say Goodbye to me--
If I turn and hide and don't let you see my pain
I won't have to hear you say Goodbye.

Lord, it seems You've given me a gift to encourage others,
Written love and friendship, bold to give-- But then unravels;
To open up one's heart will bear this risk:
That I'll have to hear you say Good-

Bye-----------
Will you say Goodbye to me? We'll see... 

Always I assume the worst will come from any faith in letting (my heart) go;
Foolish though it may sound, perhaps it keeps my feet on the ground.
Always I wonder if perchance there'll be
A time when I won't have to hear Goodbye... 

(end)

The song basically encompasses the idea that there is great risk in opening up to others and sharing your heart to/for them - There is the risk of them walking away, not liking what they see, and saying "Goodbye". We have at any moment I suppose the choice to turn away and hide ourselves so that we never have to hear "Goodbye", or we can turn and face the risk head on and trust that God will keep us and heal us from any pain that may come from doing so. (I haven't incorporated that idea into the song yet, but I think I shall...)

Daily we must all decide: Will I continue on the path of openness and vulnerability and trust God, or will I turn and run in fear, hoping to protect myself from potential future pain (but in the process limiting present gain)?

I must choose to continue and to put off these silly doubts and fears, of course! Perhaps this is why Philippians 4:8 popped up in my readings today... It is a great reminder not to think on "what ifs" and possibilities, but to remain steadfast in God's truth and His love. No matter what pain may find me in this life, the next life shall be without tears, mourning, sorrow and pain. The old order of things shall have passed away, and all things will have become new. And I can hardly wait until that day!





No comments: