Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2008

On the Horizon

Up and coming news for the band: On January 26th we are meeting with a recording artist to discuss our vision and goals for an album-- a prelude to recording. I am excited! With the advent of putting my music on MySpace (the link is in my links sections of this page), I am looking more forward to having some good recordings. There are so many ways you can use music!

Also, in February, we may have a chance to play worship for a weekend retreat in NorCal. We were invited already, but details are lacking aside from that. We will also get to guest-lead worship at a couple churches in February, in addition to our frequently playing at E-Street Cafe on Sunday nights. Having so many opportunities to use the gifts God has given to each of us is truly a blessing-- Every good gift, and every perfect gift comes from above!

Speaking of E-Street, last week and the week before were the first couple times I've ever performed my own set-- Tom and Patrick played some djimbe with me (pronounced "jim bay", it's a bongo-like drum, for those who aren't familiar with it), and Tom sang some harmony vocals as well-- but I played the guitar! Scary. Gives me a reason to practice my guitar skills! I was told by one gentleman that it sounded great, and not to apologize-- I kept telling the audience how I couldn't play guitar all too well and to please forgive any mistakes I might make. It was funny, because the person after me kept doing the same thing, so I joked, "Next up, a person with confidence!" It's good to be able to poke fun at your shortcomings, I think (but also to move past them and grow!).

There is a unique challenge I believe Christian musicians face that non-Christian musicians don't face-- Keeping the focus on Jesus! Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the sound, in the notes, the chords, beats, etc. It is important, Christian or not, to make good-sounding music! But amidst all that to remember that we are playing to glorify Christ and worship Him, and that it ultimately doesn't matter if anyone likes it or not. But I have faith that He gives each of us our gifts to use for ministry here on earth, so they're going to minister to someone. But keeping this thought in mind helps keep my eyes off myself and what people think of me, and from worrying about pleasing man. God help me to practice this more...!

No comments: