Search This Blog

Saturday, January 05, 2008

A New Year, A New Color!

It's a new year, and it's time to venture out into the unkown and pick a new design for my blog. Don't be surprised though if next time you check in it's back to the old design!

So, it's 2008. I can hardly believe it's 2008! I can't believe I'm going to be 28 this year! Wow! I don't feel that old. I remember watching the Jetsons cartoon when I was younger, and seeing the flying cars and pills for food, etc. And in Looney Toons, there was a futuristic episode where Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny were old and decrepid, yet still trying to hurt each other-- it was "the yeeeaaar 2000..." (said in a long, drawn-out, futuristic spooky voice). They were wearing space suits and Elmer Fudd had a space age laser gun, etc. Quite funny to think 2000 was 8 years ago and there's no such thing!

Along with the idea of new and improved things for the new year comes the ever daunting task of making new year's resolutions... Unless you're like me, and just ignore the concept all together!

Back before I was a Christian, my new year's resolutions included many self-improvement type tasks: be nicer, be more loving, listen more, etc. etc. But since I've accepted Jesus, I've learned that (1) it is His Spirit that changes us, and that we can't change ourselves-- though we must respond to His working in our lives, and (2) His mercies are new every morning-- why should I wait until New Year's Day to decide to obey the Spirit? Obey the Word?

It is important to live each day of our lives as we want to live life, not letting ourselves slide throughout the year. "This year I will lose weight and eat healthy." Why not eat healthy before New Year's? Why not monitor your weight throughout the year?

True, there is a feeling of a fresh start with the dawning of a new year. I don't deny that. But I think the more we realize that His mercies are new every morning, and realize that each day is a new beginning-- each moment even-- the less significant the new year becomes. Mankind will never heal their own wounds, solve their own issues, let's face it. The only hope is Jesus! And 2008 brings us closer than ever to His soon coming!

In the words of the apostle John, "Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen."
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

"It is important to live each day of our lives as we want to live life, not letting ourselves slide throughout the year."

That's a great attitude! Instead of just one day a year to start anew, we have a whole 365 days for new starts. Thanks for sharing your insights with us!

Jim