Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2008

No Place Like Home...

This past Saturday I drove up north to visit my family. My cousin who moved up to central California was down visiting. Giving that she drove over 300 miles, I guess I can drive 70 to go visit!
W
Being around my family has a way of making me feel more normal. I'm not short anymore (well, not as short), and my seemingly strange habits all seem to fall into place and make sense.
W
I'm no longer the weird one for making sure I don't rip the bag when opening a new box of cereal or bag of chips (so that it can be closed properly later on!). Seeing a ripped bag of chips when trying to put away left overs, my aunt said, "This will show you I didn't open it!" Meaning a member who married into the family or a child with mixed blood did it. Hahaha
W
Also, everyone (including myself) was carrying around cameras and photographing everything! It was primarily because my cousin had brought her newborn baby boy and 21-month-old daughter. But I had fun catching the camera mania on my own camera (as you can see...).
W
My family is great. Christmas is my favorite, when another type of mania shows itself-- knife mania. You cannot open a present without at least a dozen pocket knives being whipped out with the accompaning, "Need a knife?" That stubborn ribbon-- no match for my family. Don't be surprised if you get some used wrapping paper though-- they are also good at sliding those knives under the tape and keeping the paper in pristine condition, as those who look on shout "Just rip it!" (My aunt makes a point to collect all the paper and throw it away before this can be accomplished though!)
W

Well, it's nice to visit your family and leave feeling just a little less weird, a little less short, and a little more justified in carting your pocket knife and camera with you everywhere. There's no place like home!

3 comments:

Fifecat75 said...

This just about made me cry. I totally agree!

mteske55 said...

Good pics! I love our family too.

SomersetJen said...

Great entry, Deanna! Gosh, I wish I could have been there. I love your notes about the bags and the photos. We're not weird! OF course we're not! :)